Monday, June 29, 2009

The Conscience of the Court

Does Laura Lee telling her own story in her own voice help the story? Or does her rambling slow down the action in the courtroom? Why do you think Hurston chose to include her testimony?

I think having the story in Laura Lee's voice helps the story. It makes the reader sympathetic to her situation since you're experiencing it first hand. At first I wasn't sure if she was in the wrong or not, but as the story went on I realized that everything she did was simply out of self defense and love. At one point during her testimony she really stated rambling a little. I almost started to think she was nervously going on and on and thought the verdict was going to go the other way. I think Hurston chose to include Laura Lee's testimony so the reader will get that first hand experience of what happened, and so you'll gain sympathy for her. Overall, it was a very intriguing story that made want to know what happens next, which is something that I really look for in a story...

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment