Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Film Adaptation Outline for Hills Like White Elephants aka Shangri-La

I'm still working through a lot of the details and back story, but here's what I have so far.

Title: Since I've changed the story so much, and so much of the story revolves around the title, I've decided to change it entirely. Shangri-La will be the new title.

Character: I'm still working through who's going to play who, but I've added a few characters. Including but not limited to: an older version of the American man who will narrate at different times, a best friend to the American man, the American man and Jig will remain the same, several female "extras", the waitress and perhaps a few more people in the bar in Spain.

Setting: I'm starting the movie in a location that, from the reader's point of view, will be unknown. Then it will progress to Chicago, Spain, and then back to the unknown location from the beginning. A few other cities will be mentioned but none of the characters will actually be in these locations. The movie will start in present time.

Plot/Conflict: I'm keeping Hemingway's exact story, which will be the second to last scene in the movie, but I'm coming up with a back story to explain how these people ended up in this situation. The conflict will be mostly man v. man and man v. self, with a little bit of man v. society.

Irony: The main irony of this story will occur in the very last sentence. It is situational irony. There will also be some irony with the American man character throughout the story that will gradually become more ironic throughout the story. (This is kind of hard to explain)

Symbolism: Here's what I have so far. The story will be going from climate to climate. Whether it be a hot place like Spain, cold place like Chicago in the winter, or a hot/cold room, etc., the mood and intensity of the story will coincide with the climate. Also an open field will be symbolic of freedom, an interracial relationship will somewhat symbolize the times, and I'm still thinking of a few more which I'm sure will come to mind as I'm writing...

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment