Monday, June 1, 2009

Entry One

Hello. I'm Adam Ramsey, I'm from Mineral Wells, TX. I am in my 3rd year at TCU and recently changed my major to writing. I chose this particular course to gain knowledge in not only reading fiction, but understanding how to write and analyze it as well. I plan to eventually write fiction novels, so, I believe this course will help set the foundation for what I need to formulate my thoughts and put them into words on a page.


I mostly enjoy reading fiction novels, but I also enjoy the occasional non-fiction book. I like to read a variety of books, anywhere from Henry David Thoreau, to Gogol, all the way to the Twilight series. I enjoy reading outside of the classroom much more than in, but I'm always up for finding new things to read so I don't mind reading something that I "have to" if it's interesting... The thing I love the most about fiction is getting lost in the Author's world, the characters they've created, and just trying to figure out what they were thinking when they came up with the story. I hope to one day have someone thinking the same thing about my own work. To have someone truly and completely compelled by my stories would have to my ultimate goal.


As I mentioned before, I would really just like to learn as much as possible about fiction, and set a strong foundation before I sit down and start writing my own stuff. As for the how I learn, I tend to really understand material after I've gone over it a second time, and usually by myself in order to think things through thoroughly. So this class should fit the way I learn perfectly.

Something interesting about myself? My world revolves around my 5 year old daughter, James. I wouldn't be doing any of the things I do if it weren't for her. In my free time I play guitar or piano, read, and play basketball. I try to stay in the best shape possible, although I don't have as much time for exercising as I would like.

I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus...

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. You like to read a lot :)
    Did you ever read it? The note?
    anyhow...
    I noticed we picked the same background, and we both play Guitar and piano (WHOOP WHOOP) Oh and i think i can kick you behind in basketball :)

    Well have wonderful evening full of fun :)

    ps 5 year old aye... cute :)

    ReplyDelete